The 2018-2019 HPISD school year will begin Aug. 23.
The district’s board of trustees approved the school calendars at its Jan. 16 meeting.
The K-12 calendar ends school May 31, 2019 for six of the district’s campuses. The Bradfield only calendar ends school four days earlier, May 24, to allow extra time for packing, moving, tear-down, and construction of the campus.
The calendars were developed by a committee comprised of district administrators, principals, the lead high school counselor, Teachers of the Year and a trustee. District officials said one of the committee’s aims was to maximize the amount of time during the summer to complete campus construction.
A proposed calendar draft was sent out in an email survey to gather feedback from parents, students, teachers, and staff – 196 responses were received, and after consideration of the feedback, the committee recommended the current calendars.
The calendars include:
- A student holiday/professional exchange day on Oct. 8, which is Columbus Day.
- A Thanksgiving break from Wednesday, Nov. 21 through Sunday, Nov. 25.
- A winter break for students that would begin on Saturday, Dec. 22 and extend through Monday, Jan. 7.
- A student/staff holiday on Jan. 21 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- A spring break that would run from Saturday, March 9 to Sunday, March 17.
- A student holiday/professional exchange day on April 19.
- Two bad weather makeup days on March 29 and April 22. If no bad weather make-up days are needed, those days will be holidays for students and staff.
- Early-release days for grades K-8 for staff planning and professional development.
Grades K-8 will remain on a nine-week grading period, and the high school will continue to use a six-week grading period.