University Park officials say radiant heat from an outdoor grill sparked a two-alarm house fire in the 5900 block of Armstrong Parkway Monday night. Two people who were home at the time managed to escape without injury.
“The fire began in the carport and spread to the house,” UP Community Information Officer Steve Mace said.
Highland Park Public Safety and Dallas Fire Rescue personnel helped the UP Fire Department fight the blaze, which was first reported around 11:30 p.m. At one point, nearly 30 firefighters were on the scene.
The fire caused heavy damage to the back of the house as well as the carport and attic.